Reimbursement of Expenses
Reimbursement Form for Travel Related Expenses - use this form when the majority of expenses are travel related, only complete the fillable boxes, sign the form and submit to the Business Officer
Reimbursement Form for Other Types of Expenses - use this form when the majority of receipts are for supplies, memberships, books, etc., only complete the fillable boxes, sign the form and submit to the Business Officer
Missing Receipts Form- this form should be submitted with receipts for reimbursement when a receipt has been lost
University Policy on Expense Reimbursement
- Original receipts must accompany all reimbursements
- For air travel, if prior to actual travel - eticket is sufficient and both boarding passes much be submitted when travel is complete
- For air travel that has been completed - eticket and both boarding passes must be submitted
- Per diem is only allowed on Federally funded grants. Any funds deemed to be from the Province of Ontario (i.e. operating budget or UTFA Professional Allowance) a per diem is not allowed.
- If per diem is allowed: for travel within Canada you can claim $55 per day without receipts or for international travel you can claim $75 per day without receipts
- When claiming reimbursement from Ontario funds submit all original receipts for meals including the restaurant receipt and the credit card slip. Credit card slips alone are not allowed.
- Allowance for use of personal car - $0.47 per kilometre
- Foreign exchange rates - you can include a copy of a credit card statement that shows the actual amount you were charged, or you will be reimbursed according to the University's rate calculator
Hiring Research Assistants
Departmental Guidelines for Hiring RAs and RA Pay Rates - Revision coming soon
Letter of Offer for Student Research Assistants (T4 Income) - Income tax is deducted from the payment. (Note: Your grant will be charged for the salary plus 4% vacation pay, and 10% employer benefit costs.) Submit a copy of the completed letter to the Business Officer.
Letter of Offer for Student Research Trainee (T4A Income) - No deductions are made to the payment. (Note: Your grant will only be charged the salary actually paid.) Submit a copy of the completed letter to the Business Officer
Time Sheet for use for Casual Research Assistants - use this form when you are paying an individual on an ad hoc basis as hours are actually worked
One-Time-Only Payment Authorization - use this form when authorizing a payment for a Casual Research Assistant who is to paid one lump sum that is NOT based on a number hours and an hourly rate.
When hiring someone who has never been paid by the University of Toronto before (any area, not just Sociology) the following forms must be submitted to the Business Officer
- Void Cheque
- New Employee Information Sheet - required when hiring someone who has never been paid by the University of Toronto
- TD1 Federal Income Tax Form - required when hiring someone who has never been paid by the University of Toronto
- TD1 Ontario Income Tax Form - required when hiring someone who has never been paid by the University of Toronto