Most graduate student forms are available through the School of Graduate Studies. The forms on this page are specific to the Sociology Department and do not replace the procedures required by the School of Graduate Studies.
Course Add Form
- SGS Financial Need Assessment Online
- SGS Financial Needs Assessment Form
- Bissel Award Application (PDF)
- Ethics Protocols for graduate student Major Research Papers (MRP) and Research Practicums involving research with human participants must be submitted to the UofT Research Ethics Board (REB) and not to the Department Ethics Review Committee (DERC), whether the research is low, medium or high risk. Faculty supervisors for the MRP's and Practicums must initiate the submission process for their students by logging into My Research Human Protocols (MRHP) within their My Research portal and by following the instructions for student submissions.
- PhD Ethics Approval Application. In order for a student to create and submit a human research ethics protocol through MRHP, THEIR SUPERVISOR must FIRST assign their role via MRHP. Please note that the student’s access in MRHP will be active the day after the supervisor assigns the role or reassigns the protocol. For details on the Ethics Approval application process please click the link to the application.
- Students wishing to see the old Ethics Approval form can review the 2016 Ethics Application Form (PDF) from the Department of Sociology.
PhD Thesis Guidelines
- PhD Thesis Proposal Form (PDF). Guidelines for completion and approval of the thesis proposal can be found in the Dissertation Proposal Guidelines.pdf. Students must submit the Thesis Approval form along with an electronic copy of the proposal to the graduate office once their proposal has been reviewed and approved by their thesis committee.
- Final Oral Exam Guidelines. Guidelines for completing the Final Oral Exam can be found in this document.
- Once the oral exam guidelines are reviewed the supervisor and student need to submit the Final Oral Exam Booking Request Form at least 8 weeks prior to the requested exam date.
- Doctoral Thesis Formatting. Guidlines for the formatting of doctoral theses can found on the School of Graduate Studies website.
- Annual Progress Report for PhD Students in Sociology (PDF). All students in the PhD program need to complete and submit this form each year by mid April.
- Summary of the PhD Program Benchmarks (PDF)
- Comp Exam Request Form.docx. Notification of intent to take the comprehensive examination should be sent via email to the Graduate Program Assistant by November 1 for February exam or May 1 for August exam. The completed request form is due to the Graduate Office after the group meeting occurs but no later than November 30 for the February exam or May 31 for the August exam.
- Comprehensive Exam Policy (PDF)