Students who complete a sociology specialist gain in-depth knowledge of sociological methods and theory, they achieve mastery of several sociology sub fields, and they benefit from hands-on research and writing coursework. We admit a limited number of students into the specialist program each year.
Students interested in the Specialist program normally apply and enter from the Major program, after having completed the first half of Year 2 requirements of that program as below. Students demonstrating exceptional interest and achievement in the introductory courses may enter at the end of Year 1.
Students cannot combine a Sociology Specialist program with another Sociology program (Major or Minor) for their degree.
Students who have achieved a minimum combined average of 80% in SOC100H1+SOC150H1 may apply for admission in second year. Students already enrolled in the sociology major may apply to transfer to the specialist program if they achieved a minimum combined average of 70% in SOC201H1, SOC202H1, and SOC204H1. Achieving the 70% minimum mark does not guarantee admission to the program in any given year. Credit for higher-level SOC courses will not waive these requirements.
Transfer credits of SOC1**H without exclusion cannot be used to meet program admisssion or requirements.
Completing a Sociology specialist requires 10 full credits, as per the following:
- SOC201H1, SOC202H1, and SOC204H1
- SOC251H1, SOC252H1, and SOC254H1
- 2.0 SOC credits from the 300-level “Program-Only” courses (codes SOC317H1 to SOC354H1 – rotating list every year)
- 1.0 SOC credits at the 400 level
- An additional 3.0 credits in Sociology at the 200 or 300 level (1.0 of which must be taken at the 300-level, i.e., 2.0 credits at the 200 or 300 level and 1.0 at the 300 level)
- Students cannot take more than 1.0 SOC credit at the 400 level without written permission from the Undergraduate Program Administrator.
- Students cannot take more than 2.0 SOC credits of the program-only courses without written permission from the Undergraduate Program Administrator.